Renting out a wall or display space during art shows is a great option for artists who can’t afford an expensive studio, or just want display space outside their home studio.
I recently began checking for display wall spaces and realized I had a ton of questions. Below is my list I bring with me when I am looking at a display wall or small space.
Let me know if you would add anything to this list!
Lease and Contract Questions
- Is there a contract or lease you need to sign to rent the wall or display space?
- Can you read a copy of the lease / contract / agreement?
- What is the duration of the lease?
- What is the cost of rent?
- How do you pay rent? (By mail, in-person, online)
- How do you prefer rent being paid? (cash, credit, check)
- When is rent due?
- Do you get an invoice or receipt for rent payment?
Insurance and Safety Questions
- Is there an insurance policy that covers the rented space?
- Is your work or use of that space also covered by that policy?
- Do you need your own additional insurance policy?
- How safe is the rented space?
- Have there been any problems in the past? (theft, leaks, damage, etc)
- How is the space you are renting secured when you are not around?
- Who has access to the space?
- Does the building have security or cameras on premise?
Space & Usage Questions
- Who do you contact for questions or issues related to the space your renting?
- Is there storage space you can use?
- Is there additional charges for storage space?
- What are the display space access hours?
- What type of activities are allowed in the display space? (making art, displaying art, teaching workshops, private events, gallery visits)
- Is there WIFI or data jack access available?
- Are you also required cover any utilities or additional bills?
Building & Utility Questions
- Where is the closest loading dock?
- Where is parking?
- Is there additional costs for parking?
- What are the building access hours?
- Where are the closest bathrooms?
Social and Traffic Questions
- Is there social or additional group obligations when renting this display space? (Meetings, group promotion)
- Whats the traffic rates of guests and visitors?
- What are the average sales of the other artists using the space?
- Are there any visual standards for the space or type of artwork they are looking to exhibit?
- Is there any type of work not allowed on display in the space? (nudity, political, profanity)
- What happens if there is an open studio event and you are not able to attend?
- Are you able to alter the space you are renting? (paint walls, add shelves, change lighting etc.)
- How many other people are looking at this space right now?
- When do you need a decision by if I choose to rent this space?
- How should I get in contact with you when I decide?
Head on over to the Free Resources Tab to get the free downloadable Day Show Packing List and never forget items you need for short term pop-up shops and art shows.